When I started telling people I was pregnant, the questions just came a rollin'..... Here are a few that make me laugh and think when they ask....
* Are you still in your "regular" clothes. (trust me the word regular, rolls off some peoples mouths like the word "regular" is the plague....)
To answer this question, it seems as though it turns into the longest discussion ever.. I mean do you really care what kind of clothes i am wearing?
So for all you curious people out there.....
I am still lucky enough to get to wear all my "regular" tops, and dresses. I am out of my jeans (unless I wear my bella band) and into the very cute maternity jeans I have! I, like many other moms, am not to impressed with some of the maternity clothes out there. I mean why in the hell are some of them so BIG looking????? But then again I have found some really cute stuff online. I have yet to venture into an actual maternity store (I am not counting Gap, Old Navy or Target, because they sell "regular" clothes to), and am not sure I am going to need to..YET....
*How much weight have your gained?
Really?!?!, who in the hell would ask anyone that. I mean besides sitting around with other "moms to be", my family, or friends... why do you care how much weight I have put on...
Well, I actually struggled the first few months with the thought of even gaining a pound. I know, I know, when you are pregnant it's healthy to gain weight, and blah blah blah. BUT.. for some reason I have always been tiny, and the thought of putting weight onto a body that I have manged to keep little my whole life (give or take those few, pounds) was a little hard for me. After a few weeks, and finally just sticking to the, you will gain weight, and it will come off mentality. I was finally ok with it. I have manged to stay right around 7 pounds so far!
*Are you going to breastfeed?
Apparently in a mommy to be world this is a very important question. I wasn't a breastfed baby, and really didn't think much about it until my sister in law got pregnant. I obviously am going to try to breastfeed, and want to have that bond with the baby. There are obviously no guarantees that the baby will take to it, or that I will be able to do so. So, it's really a toss up until Carter arrives. I do hope that I can, and will try my hardest to make it work. But, I obviously am not going to force the breastfeeding onto my baby, or me.
*Are you excited?
I honestly, laugh the hardest when people ask me this. Seriously?!?! I mean I guess there are those instances where some mom's may not be excited about having a baby. But, seriously? of Course I am excited. I am over the moon, stars, and all the planets excited! I never really thought about not being excited about having a baby. I LOVE LOVE LOVE kids, and obviously am going to LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my own,. So, YES to answer the question... I am super excited! I cannot wait to be a mom! I cannot wait for Michael to be a dad. I love watching him with his little niece Sloan, and I love listening to him talk about Carter. It just warms my heart.
So the excited questions, usually leads for some people to the next question:
Are you scared/worried/nervous?
Well, if anyone knows me I am a planner, and a bit of a control freak. With that, I am of course scared/nervous/worried about having a baby. I don't know what to expect (and that is the hard part), and I constantly worry I am not going to be a great mom. I have two great mother figures in my life; my mom, and my mother-in-law to live up to. They have both raised some pretty great kids, and did a great job doing so. With that, I also know that all my nervousness will be at ease, because I have such a great support system. Between these two amazing moms in our life, I also have a great sister in law who shares all the ins and outs with me about having a new baby, plus I have a few close girlfriends who are now embarking on this great journey of motherhood; that I think I will be fine. So.. YES I am really scared/nervous/worried, but know that i am going to do the best I can, and with the help of my best friend, and husband; I am pretty sure our kids are going to turn our just fine. As my sister in law told me Monday, "Once you become pregnant, its like an instinct, worrying about your baby will never go away."
I am sure there are more, but those are the few that I think i get asked the most besides,"What are you having?" and up until Monday I just had the answer... I don't know yet, but hope its a boy :)
Don't get me wrong, I love when people ask me questions about my pregnancy. Maybe its the way people ask the question, or the tone they use when they ask the questions, that gets me wound up or in a tizzy.... but I think for some people, they should really think about the question they are about to ask me (especially if they are strangers) before they ask it.
No comments:
Post a Comment