Monday, October 1, 2012

One year = Priceless

Big Boy Alert

This past Saturday our little sweet baby boy turned 1. It is hard to believe that a year ago Saturday we were anxiously awaiting to be wheeled into the delivery room to welcome our little man into this world. There are so many emotions that I have gone through for the past week that it is so hard to even sit down and write this post. I am obviously, overly joyed with the amount of love that has filled our home in the past year because of our little man. I am also, more than excited to see how much Carter has learned and continues to learn and explore everyday. I am also, a very bit sad to see that this year is now over. I am sad because my little baby boy is now becoming a (somewhat) independent little man. I am sad that he is going to continue to grow and continue to become more and more independent, shying away from needing his mama for everything. I know, I know he still needs me and will always need me; but, not the way that he has needed me for this past year.
 
The Day you were born
As this month flew by so many things happened that I feel like he was holding out on us these past few months.

Little Man,
 this month you said your first word "Ma-Ma" and I obviously was super excited that Ma Ma was your first word, and it took me a day to realize what you were trying to say. When I figured it out I couldn't stop getting you to say it and,  you wouldn't stop saying it. You haven't said any other words since then, but you are becoming more and more vocal. You yell, grunt and of course mumble, which will all eventually become words. But, can you do mommy a favor and really work on saying DA-DA. I think he is a little bummed that you didn't say his name first.

You also are doing a little bit of walking, but still prefer to crawl. You are a machine when it comes to crawling and I can't seem to keep track of you sometimes around the house. You are still crawling with that one little leg up and the other one scooting away. You also stand up by yourself when you are playing with your toys and you think you are hot stuff.

Big Boy is Officially 1
You are eating like a little champ. But, still have no preference for those yucky old veggies that mommy makes. Not sure why you don't like them, because you LOVED them when you were eating them as baby food. You are also not a huge fan of meat. You will eat it if its mixed in with something, but don't really care to just eat chicken or beef. You really just love pasta, rice, fruit and ANIMAL COOKIES and CHEESE. I think you could live off cheese sticks and animal cookies. But since those are not food groups alone, we need to work on eating/venturing out into other things.

You are "un-officially" done nursing. We have been working on weaning you off for the past month, by introducing you to whole milk. You have taken to the whole milk like a champ, you will finish whatever milk you have in your bottle and want more (I think you sometimes mumble "gone", but that is unofficial too). You still sometimes get really excited and want to nurse. Which is fine, for now. But... we can't nurse for ever. This part of your growing up has me probably the saddest. I never thought in a million years that I would be sad that nursing would come to an end. I thought that when this day came, I would feel proud, accomplished of course happy. As much as I do feel accomplished  and proud, I am very very sad. You no longer need me for your source of nutrients and you are just getting to be a big boy. I have to say at first nursing was not the easiest thing ever, and alot of people were not very encouraging. I had heard so many bad stories, that I didn't know if we were going to make it past a month. Along with those bad stories I also had a lot of people who just couldn't believe that I wanted to nurse; along with all those bad stories came alot of encouragement from family and close friends (thank you). So, little man we did make it and we made it a whole year of full nursing with no supplementing at all. I don't want to brag but I think this deserves for a big pat on mamas back and yours (thanks for only biting me once and understanding that it hurt). Thank you for making nursing such a very bonding experience between to the two of us. It is something that I will always remember and hold dear to my heart. All those sweet moments we had where you nursed and fell asleep, or where you nursed and held my hand; I will always remember.

You are also into waving and doing "So Big." It took you a while to get it, but now you love doing it and you find it so very funny. Along with the so big, you also can do "so much" when we ask you how much you love us.You also just learned how to hug, and you love giving kisses.  We porbbaly get a hundred kisses each a day and we love it. You are so excited to give them out that it is fun to just ask you for kisses a million times. With those kisses, you are truly the sweetest little boy ever. You can be a little monster at times, and do throw a few little Schmidt fits as Grandma C calls them. But you truly are so loving and so giving. You love sharing everything, especially your chewed and gnawed on food; which we love to share with you, but sometimes buddy, you just need to eat your own food.

You love playing with all kinds of balls. Basketballs, footballs, baseballs, plastic balls and anything shaped like a ball. You entertain yourself so easily and just love chasing the balls and toys around the house. You have figured out that the balls can fit under the couch, so when they roll under there you get on your belly and try to find them or try to get them out. Its pretty darn cute. You still have your favorite toy, being the hippo ball shooter and play with it all the time. You are still really into your PBS shows, and love SUPER WHY so much!! You also are now getting into the movie Cars and you love Lightening MCQueen and Mater. You have little toys of each of them and you love them both. You also are really into banging on the walls and floors with your hands and toys. It is funny but not so much when you do it uncontrollably.

You are still rocking the blanket and your bink at naptime (or when your meltdowns are so severe), you give up the bink when we ask for it, so we try to just make sure you get it only at naptime. But sometimes, you are sneaky and go into your room and find one (somehow) and put it back in your mouth and then come back to the living room. It is funny, but you really don't care for it all that much.
 
12 Month Check up
You are still napping two times a day and taking pretty good length of time naps. You are going to bed at 8-830 still and doing a great job of sleeping through the night. You are teething (you had your first tooth come in this month and its pretty darn cute), and have five teeth coming in at once. So, you are waking up a few times at night but you just cry yourself back to sleep or we come in and put you back on your pillow. You are rocking size three diapers still and wearing 9-18 month clothes. It is so weird that all the 18 month clothes I bought you for the winter are huge!!! So, we had to go do some shopping damage and get you long sleeve 9-12 month stuff. All 12 month pants seem to long, but 9 month are too short, its weird!!
 
You went to the doctor today and you are right on track with everything. You weighed in at 22 lbs and are 29.5 inches long!! You got three shots today and did not love that at all. You were pretty pissed for about ten minutes. But as soon as we got into the car you fell right asleep.  We are going to work on those fine motor skills over the next three months and continue helping you grow into a big boy!!

You are pretty much amazing and your dad and I love you so much!!!
 
Happy 1st Birthday Big Boy!!
 
Love you,
 
Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment