We had the opportunity on Tuesday night to watch our little boo, Sloan! For those of you who don't know who she is, she is the current love of our lives; our little niece! Todd and Laura had tickets to the game, so we of course jumped at the chance to watch her! Keep in mind we have not had a baby around in a looonnnnggg time, so we were a little nervous, but at the same time uber excited to get to watch her...ALONE!
The night started off pretty easy! We played on her little play mat, and boy does she love that thing (mental note- I will need one of those for Baby Schmidt). She then wanted to eat some dinner, so I started to feed her; and what does she do? Falls asleep!!!!! For a whole 40 minutes!
I kept thinking to myself how great is this!! I read a little bit of People and watched the game with Michael. after Sloan's little nap she decided she wanted the rest of her bottle, so we finished feeding her and were just hanging out on the couch watching TV and playing when all the sudden....
She started crying.... ALOT.... Now keep in mind I know babies cry, but if you have ever met this little niece of mine; she never cries (or at least I have never seen her cry). So, I was in shock about this.. I couldn't believe a baby could cry so much and so loud! We had no idea what was wrong with her. We tried to take off her little clothes (we thought she was hot), we changed her diaper (we thought she needed it), I walked around the house endlessly (we thought she wanted to be rocked), but nothing seemed to work!
After about 30 minutes of the tears rolling down her face we decided she might be a little hungry (I know maybe a little after the fact), so we warmed up another bottle and tried to feed her. She was not having any part of that bottle. I started to get really upset because how was I going to calm her down. I just kept thinking I was the worst babysitter ever! Michael was just as anxious, and it just seemed like she just needed to cry, cry, cry!!!
Around this time Mama Laura was texting us to check up on her, and I decided it was time to call her! I called Laura, and it seemed liked we were on the right path. She suggested trying the bottle again, and giving her some of her gas drops (her little belly was making some weird noises). So FINALLY she took the bottle, and was finally better. After she had her bottle I just walked around the house with her and did my best to soothe her.
Then Mom and Dad got home and she seemed absolutely fine. I secretly think, she just really missed her Mommy and Daddy! Laura and Todd really reassured us that sometimes she gets like this and that they sometimes don't even know what she wants or what is wrong.
In the end, I am kind of glad she had a little cry fit. Because, as a soon to be mommy; I know episodes like this will freak me out; but it is nice to know NOW that this happens and there sometimes isn't anything you can do. I am just thankful that I have so many resources (first time mommies, grandmas, and mommies who have lots of babies) to help me through this process of mommyhood!
After telling the story a few times, every keeps asking me, are you sure you are ready for this? Of course I am. I know that being a mom isn't going to be easy; and I know that there will be times when I probably want to rip my hair out because I wont know what to do. But, it comes with the territory. If we weren't ready to have a baby, we wouldn't be having a baby!
No comments:
Post a Comment