Ever since I became pregnant, I knew I was going to breastfeed. I wanted to do so, because it is so much better for the baby and it doesn't hurt that you lose your pregnancy weight a little bit faster. I never realized how hard it was going to be. I mean don't get me wrong, I knew it wasn't going to be a cake walk, but I didn't realize it was going to be THIS hard. The first few days of breastfeeding I was in the hospital, and had become educated enough through reading and taking my nursing class that I was confident in what I was doing. At the hospital I was doing fine! THEN they send me home and it was like, what the hell happened in a matter of 12 hours. I became engorged (HOLY HURT), and had some massive nipple irritation (sorry, if TMI) and I became less confident in what I was doing. I really thought I was doing something wrong and that this was my fault. I shed alot of tears those first few days at home, and even got out a bottle and was willing to just pump each breast and bottle feed him. Ont top of the issues we were having breastfeeding, I have a little monster of a child who decided that for the first few days of his life at home, that he wanted to clusterfeed for hours upon hours in the early morning (think, 10pm-6am straight feeding). This was not a great experience for a first time mom/breastfeeder. I wasn't getting any sleep and all he wanted to do was eat, eat, eat. Those first couple of hours of constant feeding were enough to make me reconsider the whole breastfeeding issue. But, after many Internet searches and readings from my books, I realized that this was normal, and there wasn't really anything I could do, except push through it. I am pretty sure Michael was thinking, "Geez, We should just bottle feed." But, thank goodness for his constant support, because I am not sure what I would had done in those first few days if he had not been there. After lots of good pep talks from my sister in law (who has been breastfeeding my niece Sloan for 9 months), and the help of her wonderful mom, (who is a lactation consultant at St. Lukes); I got over my hump of insecurity with breastfeeding. Now, don't get me wrong, I am still a bit insecure about what I am doing; but became even more confident after Carter's one week follow up with the pediatrician and saw that he had gained 5.5 ounces since we were discharged.
![]() |
| I love to Eat, Eat, Eat |
We are now into week 2 of feeding and boy let me tell you the difference 2 weeks makes. After what seems like a million feedings, I am no expert by any means, but I am doing much, much, much better. I am totally confident that I can do this and hope to be able to do it for a full year. It is such a great experience to be able to provide for my baby. While, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula feeding, for me I HAD and WANTED to breastfeed so bad, that I was wanting/willing to do anything possible to make it work. That is what I have done. While, it may not stay ideal and there may be other obstacles in my way, I am going to do everything possible to make it work... Not just for me, but for Carter too!

I've been trying to get a few posts done & noticed that you posted about nursing. Glad you've had the same experience & I'm not the only one! Totally agree, hospital was easy & there were lots of tears during the 1st 2 weeks at home. Nothing can prepare you for how tough it is! I stuck it out & toughened up too thank goodness. I give majors kudos to every woman that nursed now!
ReplyDeleteSarah